[Mailman-Developers] Bouncing administrative mail

Janne Sinkkonen janne@avocado.pc.helsinki.fi
18 May 1998 15:14:35 +0300

It seems that in 1.0b1.2 there's a serious problem with bouncing
administrative mail. I hope this is corrected in later versions and
apologize if I'm reporting an old problem.

We have a big list here with the administrator now outside of the
local site (local \equiv where mailman is run).

Last weekend the network connection to outside world was
down. Administrative mail for the big list could not be delivered. As
a result, some error messages where generated about pending mail
("undelivered for 4 hours" etc.), but apparently an Errors-To or some
other header of the administrative messages caused the warnings to be
delivered to the list-admin. These, of course, generated even more error
messages about pending mail.

As a result, I had 22000 messages in my mail queue this morning.

--
Janne