[Mailman-Developers] Quandry 2: Alternate hosts and sendmail

John Viega viega@list.org
Tue, 12 May 1998 10:45:50 -0700

On Tue, May 12, 1998 at 01:09:30PM -0400, Ken Manheimer wrote:

> So i guess my question is, is it worth trying a different approach
> that will allow both the reply-to *and* the sender to be the -request
> addr, just to accomodate the few mailers that don't respect reply-to?

> That would probably mean increasing the complexity of the mailcmd
> script significantly, to detect requests that are actually bounces of
> the confirmation-requests.

Two things.

1) You only have to do this on confirmations.  Otherwise, people
should be contacting the address on their own accord.  So just set up
a -confirm addess, make it the sender and the reply-to, and then see
if the subject has the token in it, which it should not for a bounce.

2) You could always have confirmations require an "extra web step"
instead of responding to an email.

John