[Mailman-Developers] Big announcement!

Tom Dyas tdyas@remus.rutgers.edu
Thu, 7 May 1998 02:01:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Scott wrote:

> | What about support for a "confirm" command similar to listserv? While the
> | password scheme is nice, it seems possible for a bad person to spoof an
> | email from an unsuspecting user with the password in the command after
> | they have used the WWW interface.
>
> this is in the works by me.  if i understand correctly, the consensus
> was to require confirmations.  i have them working in an offshoot
> branch of mailman, and plan to put together and post patches against
> the most recent distribution next week sometime. in the meantime,

Cool.

> | An secondary feature would be to send out a confirmation request to all
> | current subscribers for them to stay on the list like once a month. The
> | Bugtraq list does this using ListServ. While not many lists would use it,
> | it would be nice.
>
> hmmm, seems like an idea.  what do you do with the members who don't
> respond in 2 weeks because they're on vacation?

I have only seen Bugtraq actually use this feature. It is a very large
list with a reasonable amount of traffic. I think for such lists the "you
lose" policy is in effect for such people since they can always
resubscribe when they come back and can view a WWW archive for info they
missed.

> not that i know with the addresses per se, but you can set the maximum
> outgoing connections for each list.  for vmailer, it would probably be
> good to just have that number be <= the size of the list.  same
> effect.
>
> BTW.  vmailer is great, can't wait till it goes beta...

vmailer?

I could probably just write a script that runs out of cron every 15
minutes that checks to see if any *-outgoing files need to be regenerated.

Tom