[Mailman-Developers] Big announcement!

Tom Dyas tdyas@remus.rutgers.edu
Thu, 7 May 1998 01:29:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 6 May 1998, John Viega wrote:

> I've got a few things to announce.  First, I've come up w/ a big
> Mailman TODO list that is now on the web.  If you want to tackle
> something off that list, just let this mailing list know, and go at
> it!
>
> The TODO list is at: http://www.list.org/todo.html
>
> Please submit additions, corrections, etc. to me.

What about support for a "confirm" command similar to listserv? While the
password scheme is nice, it seems possible for a bad person to spoof an
email from an unsuspecting user with the password in the command after
they have used the WWW interface.

FYI, I help run the Linux development lists on vger.rutgers.edu in my
spare time. I have seen _many_ forged requests to Majordomo that come in
as requests for approval. If mailman were to send out a unique value
determined only by it and only sent to the subscriber, then there is a
much better guarantee that it was the subscriber who confirmed the
subscription request.

An secondary feature would be to send out a confirmation request to all
current subscribers for them to stay on the list like once a month. The
Bugtraq list does this using ListServ. While not many lists would use it,
it would be nice.

I can hack on some of this but are there any relevant parts of mailman I
should consider for this? I have programmed in Python before so I just
need pointers to right files and such.

Btw, I am going to try out mailman on a CVS commits list (vger cvs is home
to linux/sparc) that I am going to make on vger. Vger uses the zmailer
MTA. Is there any way to make mailman use an "outgoing"-style list alias?
Zmailer is very good about sending out mail if it has all of the
destinations at once since it can group nearby domains and such to send to
exploder sites.

Tom