[Mailman-Developers] Idea

Corbett J. Klempay cklempay@chimera.acm.jhu.edu
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 02:33:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, John Viega wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 13, 1998 at 05:55:41PM -0400, Corbett J. Klempay wrote:
> >
> > - how big of an archive should this be scalable to?
>
> I'd say as big as possible.  I don't know if I can give a better
> answer to that one.  Target the most heavily trafficed mailing list
> you've been on.

Hmmm...any good ballpark figures for this?  I'm thinking that BUGTRAQ is
maybe one of the heavier I'm on, or perhaps the AfterStep or CVS lists.
So let's say ~10 messages a day, so ~70/week, ~300 month, 3000-4000 year.
That's a lot of messages :)  I wonder how large of a time span they should
be able to search...

> > - What kind of structure does Pipermail store the archive in?
>
> This is the biggest problem right now.  Andrew says you can plug in
> any sort of back-end you want for a database, as long as it can handle
> a tree-type structure.  Unfortunately, the only such backend
> implemented is not portable.  Everything needs to work out of the box
> w/ a vanilla Python installation.  I was thinking that someone could
> write a backend that uses the file system for that tree structure...

Ugh. (the non-portable current state of things)  What is it using now?

CK