[Mailman-Developers] mass subscribe bug

The Dragon De Monsyne dragondm@nexus.Integral.org
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 23:41:16 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, John Viega wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 13, 1998 at 08:04:35PM -0400, Scott wrote:
> >
> > i was following the example in the "private" script.  i don't think
> > base64 is necessary,  but would think that some kind of encoding makes
> > it safer -- if only because it looks random.  md5 is another option
> > for that, but it produces lots of characters that need special http
> > escaping.  i'm not sure whether or not base64 has the same problem.
> > perhaps plaintext or a simple hash is in order?
>
> base64's purpose is essentially the same as uuencode; to take binary
> streams and encode them into 7 bit characters.
>
> I'd say as long as there as these weird bugs, let's back off and go to
> plaintext...

	I'm afraid I know little of cookies,  but if it's a problem of
http escaping, I DO know that base64 will produce charecters that will
need escaping. There is a module for the apache webserver that generates
unique ID's for hits, and it encodes the binary ID using a _modified_
version of base64-encoding for this reason.
To quote:

	"The UNIQUE_ID environment variable is constructed by encoding the
	112-bit (value)  ... using the alphabet [A-Za-z0-9@-] in a manner
	similar to MIME base64 encoding, producing 19 characters. The MIME
	base64 alphabet is actually [A-Za-z0-9+/] however + and / need to be
	specially encoded in URLs, which makes them less desirable. "

 ....so, if cookies follow the same rules as URL's for escaping, then
indeed that could be the trouble.

	-The Dragon De Monsyne