[Mailman-Developers] Re: file permissions

John Viega viega@list.org
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 08:13:03 -0700

On Fri, Jun 12, 1998 at 04:34:38PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> >From a technical standpoint, how close to a 1.0 release are we?  What
> critical features are still missing (integration with Pipermail is
> key), and what showstopper bugs are still lurking?  Should I continue
> to do code clean up now, or wait until after 1.0?

I anticipate a few more beta releases first.  No one is jumping up to
do the Pipermail stuff in a portable way, so that's going to delay us
time wise.  Locking needs to be improved a bit; it would be nice if
the granularity were better.  I think there's a need for more
documentation before we leave beta.  All password-pages should use the
cookie code, AND have the extra password field for cookie-less people,
which currently isn't done at all.  I'd also like to move all web
pages and mail messages that should be editable out into the template
dirs.  That's less important, though. We also need to go through and
make sure all email addresses that can be entered can't be used in an
insecure manner (check for |'s etc. in every address, entered from
anywhere).

Also, not only would I like to see archiving back in, I also want to
see it with a search engine, by default.

As for bugs, there are some on the Mailman TODO page that may or may
not be current.  Nothing major, though.  There's one big one that's
been reported and I haven't found yet.  I'll send it on in another
email, perhaps someone else can find it before I do.

That's what I'd like to see.  And it really isn't all that much, but
I'll bet it's at least a month off.  Plus, we should try to have a
stable beta for a few weeks before we release it as 1.0.

Oh, beyond that, we need to make sure we get all permissionsissues
squared away.  Pipermail's a good example of that one. Maybe Andrew
should try to get it blessed as the GNU mail archiver before we bundle
it? :)

John