[Mailman-Developers] smtplib buglet in 1.0b4

John Viega viega@list.org
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 05:46:44 -0700

On Thu, Jun 11, 1998 at 10:05:39PM -0500, The Dragon De Monsyne wrote:

> 	Hmm.... Actually, I'm pretty sure that not having the <>'s on the
> address is perfectly fine according to the RFC's, as long as you don't
> have any comments in the address. Are you sure this isn't a glitch w/
> Vmailer?

Actually, Scott's right, RFC 821 does indeed require angle brackets.

> 	PS, is there any specific reason that MailMan keeps using it's own
> smtplib, rather than the one that is part of the Python 1.5.1 standard
> library?

The initial reason was that the user interface on Mailman's SMTP lib
was easier to program to.  For example, it was a lot easier to send a
single message to a list of recipients.  The other reason is that
Mailman releases should come out more often than Python releases.
Both smtplibs are pretty new software, and are pretty likely to
change.  The patch from Scott is a good example.  So at some point I'd
be happy to use the other smtplib, but we'd still end up providing a
more up to date version than available w/ Python, probably.

John