[Mailman-Developers] file permissions

John Viega viega@list.org
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 06:03:35 -0700

On Fri, Jun 05, 1998 at 01:31:06PM -0400, Michael McLay wrote:

> Why not have the install script install the package Mailman directly
> in the user's site-python directory?  Isn't that where it belongs?
> Then the path manipulation doesn't have to take place at all.

Well, currently the install portion shouldn't be done as root, and
unless Mailman has access to the site-python directly, it would become
necessary.  I think it's a good thing to be able to install this
software without having to have root access.  True, unless you run an
MTA like qmail, you're still going to need someone to add mail aliases
for you.  But we could add an optional make root-install target or
something like that that would go back to using the alias wrapper,
etc.

> I've done a little more work on generalizing the wrapper and adding
> some more optional debug information.  The new module Mailman.debug
> contains two functions.  The first one prints out the trace
> information.  The second function will print out uid and gid
> information and the server environment variables.  I turn off the more
> detailed messages using a debug flag in the $prefix/script/* scripts.

Nice work on the wrapper code!

John