[Mailman-Developers] News->Mail gateways

Michael McLay mclay@nist.gov
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 16:43:01 -0400 (EDT)

Barry A. Warsaw writes:

 >     JV> Well, it looks like Python isn't in your path when installing,
 >     JV> and it needs to be.  The configure script is trying to run
 >     JV> Python to guess which group your SMTPD runs under, but can't
 >     JV> run Python, and thus can't come up with a guess.
 >
 > John's right.  The problem is that the configure script looks on your
 > $PATH for python (which it didn't find), but defaults to
 > /usr/local/bin/python (which it did find).  If configure never found a
 > python binary, it would have exited earlier.
 >
 > The problem is that other tests in the configure script assume python
 > is on your path, and in your case it isn't.  This is exactly the kind
 > of bug I was hoping would get fleshed out by this beta, so... thanks
 > Mike!  :-)
 >
 > Try this patch.  It changes the tests so that it uses the python
 > binary it found in the earlier test.

Hmm, I fixed the problem so python is found so I didn't exercise this
patch.

There's one small buglet in the code generated by configure.  The
script which generates the crontab.in file adds blank lines to the
file.  This bombs the crontab command on the old SunOS system we are
using.

There is also a link error when building the source code on
SunOS using gcc version 2.7.2.  Here's the snippet that shows the
error.

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/mailman/mailman-1.0b4/src'
gcc -c -I. -DPREFIX="\"/usr/local/mailman\"" -DPYTHON="\"/usr/local/bin/python\"" -g -O2 -DHAVE_SYSLOG_H=1 -DGETGROUPS_T=int -DHAVE_VPRINTF=1  common.c
gcc -DSCRIPT="\"admin\"" -I. -DCGI_GID=55 -g -O2 -DHAVE_SYSLOG_H=1 -DGETGROUPS_T=int -DHAVE_VPRINTF=1  common.o -o admin cgi-wrapper.c
collect2: ld returned 2 exit status
ld: Undefined symbol
   _strerror
make[1]: *** [admin] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/mailman/mailman-1.0b4/src'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/local/mailman/mailman-1.0b4/templates'
for f in archives.html handle_opts.html listinfo.html options.html roster.html subscribe.html; \
do \
    /bin/install -c -m 644 $f /usr/local/mailman/templates; \
done
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/mailman/mailman-1.0b4/templates'