[Mailman-Developers] 2 Quickies

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@CNRI.Reston.Va.US (Barry A. Warsaw)
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 11:12:34 -0400 (EDT)

    JV> Mailman was installed w/ group user instead of group mailman.

Do you mean that $prefix wasn't chgrp'd mailman and chmod'd g+s?

I'd really like to know if those instructions in the INSTALL are
incorrect or not.  If they just overlooked, then I can write a test to
guarantee that's set up correctly.

    JV> The problem here was that /home/mailman needed to be "chmod
    JV> a+rx"'d.  That one should be mentioned in the install
    JV> document!

Okay, here's what the INSTALL doc will say about setting up $prefix:

      Make sure this directory is set to group `mailman' and has the
      group sticky bit set.  You probably also want to guarantee that
      this directory is read and executeable by everyone. For example,
      these shell commands will accomplish this:

          % cd $prefix
          % chgrp mailman .
          % chmod a+rx,g+s .

-Barry