[Mailman-Developers] ETA?

John Viega viega@list.org
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 14:29:42 -0700

On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 05:25:00PM -0400, Corbett Klempay wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, John Viega wrote:
>
> > Barry and I are working on putting together the b4 release as we
> > speak.  I think there will be an announcement within an hour.
> > However, we're only going to announce b4 to this mailing list, because
> > since archiving is still not integrated, we'd really prefer not to put
> > b4 into really wide release...
> >
> > John
>
> So does this mean that Pipermail integration will probably show up in b5?
> Would it be a "good idea" for me to just install this b4 now, and then put
> in b5 (or whatever the following release is) after that?  Is that easy to
> do? (upgrade to the future version with archiving when I'm already running
> b4)  Any idea how long until archiving is implemented?

Yes, upgrading should be as simple as installing over your old install
(after backing it up, of course, because you never know).

I'd like brchiving to go (back) in by b5.  The problem is, it requires
a bit of work to hook up Pipermail and Mailman in a portable way, and
I don't see anyone stepping forward :) Which means I'll be the lucky
guy to do it.  I'm getting ready to move and start a new job, though,
so I'd anticipate 2-3 weeks before I'll actually get that done.

> Hehe...I need to start writing some Python programs (and stop writing so
> many Perl ones!) so I can start contributing...argh :)

Please :)  The more the merrier :)

John