[Mailman-Developers] Anyone else seeing this?

Corbett J. Klempay cklempay@acm.jhu.edu
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:27:56 -0400 (EDT)

> Corbett,
>
> I suspect all your problems are related to permission or ownership
> problems.  You installed 1.0b5 on top of an earlier installation
> didn't you?  Earlier versions weren't quite as strict on
> perm/ownership (esp. group ownership) as 1.0b5 -- but they had
> other problems.  BTW, you followed the README note about moving your
> list template files right?

Yeah, I thought that the install over was maybe causing me some
headaches...so I did a nice rm -rf on my mailman dir and killed the user,
and started over from scratch.  All of the reported problems (from the

> Please look at your installed directory (e.g. $prefix).  You want to
> make sure all the files are group owned by the `mailman' group, and
> that all directories and files are writeable by group.  Further, be
> sure that all directories have the group sticky bit set (so new files
> will inherit the right group owner).

Yeah, they appeared to be...and to make sure, I just went to /home and did

chmod -R g+w mailman
chmod -R g+s mailman

After doing this, I pointed Netscape at
http://www2.acm.jhu.edu/mailman/listinfo  (as well as
www2.acm.jhu.edu/mailman/listinfo/test  -- I created this list as per the
install)...and both gave me this now-familiar page:

We're sorry, we hit a bug!

If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy of
this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of
what happened. Thanks!

Traceback:

We're sorry, we hit a bug!

Mailman experienced a very low level failure and could not even generate
a useful traceback.  Please report this to the Mailman administrator at
this site.

> You want to in particular, make sure lists/yourlist/config.db is group
> writeable, etc.

I killed my b4 install, but before I did, I recursively zipped up my lists
subtree.  So are you saying that as long as the permissions on them are
right, I can just unzip them back to their place and my old lists will
live once again? (all of the aliases are still active from them)  I
haven't tried this yet...(as I was trying to sort of these regular
problems first)

Just in case you spot anything odd, I'm going to send my ls -l -R
/home/mailman your way (just to you...don't want to spam the list with
that...)

CK