[Mailman-Developers] Some patch for mailman

Dan Ohnesorg, admin on power Dan@feld.cvut.cz
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:25:46 +0200

On 14 Jul 98, at 0:21, Ken Manheimer wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Dan Ohnesorg, admin on power wrote:
Hi Ken,

> > Hi everybody,
>
> Hi, dan.  Sorry it's taken so long to respond - i for one haven't had
> much time to do a lot of pending mailman stuff, including looking at
> your patches, until now.
No problemo.

> I'm reluctant to do any administrivia filtering that catches anything
> but the most mechanical administrivia - i do not want to try to catch
> messages like "How do i subscribe to the list?", only those that were
> strictly formatted and intended for the -request address.
Yes it is that, what my patch mades, it looks on first word on first 10 lines in message
and when it founds command for listserv, it redirects the message. I think it will
work fine, but I have following problem..

Jul 03 13:29:51 1998 post: Traceback (innermost last):
post:   File "/home/mailman/scripts/post", line 102, in ?
post:      current_list.ParseMailCommands()
post:   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/mm_mailcmd.py", line 80, in ParseMailCommands
post:      sender = string.lower(mail.GetSender())
post:   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/mm_message.py", line 115, in GetSender
post:      return string.lower(mail_address)
post: TypeError :  read-only buffer, None

I think there is nothing bad, return modifies nothing.

> I also wouldn't recommend doing translation of stuff to ascii, or other
> surgery on messages.  Minimum intrusion is the rule - granted, stuff
> like winmail.dat attachments are a nuisance, but it seems like the
> problem is with the origin, and not something a relatively transparent
> maillist should be trying to fix.

Yes it is problem in origin. Problem in origin is also that smail many years corupts
messages consisting CRLF.CRLF in body and mailman includes fix for that.
I have list with 500 subscribers and 50 mesages per day,  when I shall distribute
unwanted parts of this messages, I am worried. It takes many MB, winmail.dat is
many times bigger than mail itself. It makes archive big and slowes searching or at
least indexing. And it slowes delivery. Many peoples cannot read correctly mesages
with ms-tnef and html part and I will give them posibility to become readable
messages. My vision is, that there should be posibility to send command like
set ascii
to become pure ascii messages.

I hope You will also include that part, which removes some headers, like
confirm-delivery-to:, I will send more patterns soon. Yesterday I have shown RFC
for delivery confirmation messages and there are some headers, which are not
intended for public redistribute over maillists.

cheers
dan

DDDDDD
DD   DD                Dan Ohnesorg, supervisor on POWER
DD  OOOO               Dan@feld.cvut.cz
DD OODDOO              Dep. of Power Engineering
DDDDDD OO              CVUT FEL Prague, Bohemia
   OO  OO              work: +420 2 24352785;+420 2 24972109
    OOOO               home: +420 311 679679;+420 311 679311
Kdo se zahledi, neprokoukne.