[Mailman-developers] List entry indexing

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@CNRI.Reston.Va.US (Barry A. Warsaw)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:34:00 -0500 (EST)

    RF> In a prior round of email, Ken mentioned that we would need to
    RF> key the mail list entries to something other than the person's
    RF> actual email address in order to implement the flexible user
    RF> information editing capability of the web (changing one's
    RF> sendto address, etc.). I agree that this is needed, sooner or
    RF> later. Since I haven't seen the code yet, how difficult is it
    RF> to just make a unique key for each subscriber and key the
    RF> database off that with address as just one value?

I haven't looked at the code either, but you could default to using
the mailbox as the name key to start with, and then just append unique
numbers to this if there are duplicates.  I wonder if there should be
some way that a user can change keys, or specify different defaults,
say if their mailbox is Some.Really.Long.Name@mean.com.

-Barry