[ mailman-Feature Requests-1860714 ] More flexible viewing of message excerpts

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sun Dec 30 21:48:28 CET 2007

Feature Requests item #1860714, was opened at 2007-12-29 16:25
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by cyndi
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350103&aid=1860714&group_id=103

not just the latest update.
Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
In <200712290555.lBT5t1JL029460 at a.mail.sonic.net> on Mailman-Users, Cindy Norwitz suggested allowing longer excerpts for moderating posts and gave a plausible use case (users who don't understand copyright submitting long and full copies of others' work).  This should be configurable by list, as many lists require only being able to distinguish spam from real posts, which is normally possible within a few lines.

I would also like to have the ability to view message excerpts for subscription requests, as these are sometimes spam.

In both cases the existing hardcoded values should be the default.

Comment By: Cyndi (cyndi)
Thanks, Stephen.  As you said, there are often times when you need to see
the entire post attempt before you can make a judgement.  I have
subscribers who like to forward copyrighted material and other long
inappropriate things, including quotes of entire digests.  With the short
excerpt, sometimes I think the post is okay when it's actually not.  -Cyndi

Comment By: Cyndi (cyndi)