[ mailman-Patches-992621 ] Hacked & generalized "discard" a bit

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sat Jul 17 00:56:53 CEST 2004

You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=300103&aid=992621&group_id=103

Category: command line scripts
Group: Mailman 2.1

Initial Comment:
At the suggestion of someone to whom I was whining
excessively, I prowled a bit & found the "discard"
script, which apparently post-dates the installation of
Mailman with which I'm working (2.1.1).

I grabbed the version from the CVS repository; after
substitution for the path to python2.3 in the shebang
line, it seems to work just fine.  (This on FreeBSD
4.10-STABLE, in case that's of interest.)

But I wanted a bit more flexibility to provide other
actions (per the internal "TODO" list).  I don't claim
to know Python; on the other hand, I have been known to
hack.(if it seemed likely that the results would
resolve sufficient frustration).  :-}  Consider this a
warning that the resulting code is likely to be ugly,
and an invitation to make it better -- please.  :-)

Since the resulting script does more than merely
"discard" a held mesage, I left the original alone and
called the product of my hacking "dispose".

Although I have not tested it extensively, it does
appear to handle the "DEFER" (default) and the
"DISCARD" actions OK.

Patch attached.