[ mailman-Bugs-775100 ] gate_news: Handling missing groups

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Mon Jul 21 10:18:27 EDT 2003

Bugs item #775100, was opened at 2003-07-21 16:17
Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by nizz
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=775100&group_id=103

>Category: nntp/news
Group: None

Initial Comment:
At the moment, if a non-existing newsgroup is chosen
for mirroring, we break out of the loop:

    for listname in Utils.list_names():
[...]
        try:
            conn, first, last = open_newsgroup(mlist)
        except (socket.error, nntplib.NNTPError):
            break
[...]

I believe that, at least for some NNTPErrors, we should
do a "continue" instead.

My naive patch would be this:

        try:
            conn, first, last = open_newsgroup(mlist)
        except nntplib.NNTPError:
            continue
        except socket.error:
            break

But if people have good reason to break on
othernNTPErrors, we might want to do a more finegrained
check.