[ mailman-Feature Requests-679234 ] Nested Lists(Segments) enhanced support

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sun Feb 2 14:47:45 EST 2003

Feature Requests item #679234, was opened at 2003-02-03 00:47
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350103&aid=679234&group_id=103

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Imagine a simple situation: I run the tourism-related
mailing list, which I use to send various proposals to
other companies providing touristic services and located
in different cities. I want to group all subscribers into
groups(segments) depending, for example, on their
geographic location. I consider some postings not to be
interesting (even abusing) for some groups of
subscribers, so I set the WHOLE group not to receive
mail with a single operation and than send my posting to
the list.

Sure, this can be realized in current version of mailman
by creating nested lists but it looks not to be the best
choice.

I advise you to realize some little segment support in
mailman (probably based on a subscriber description).

Here is the quote from Lyris documentation:
"Let's say you'd like to send a special message to only
those list members who

- joined your list a week ago
- live in France
- are celebrating their birthday today
- have made a major purchase in the last year
- have an email address at a particular domain (e.g.,
aol.com or hotmail.com)

ListManager allows you to send to a segment, or
subset, of your list who meet the criteria you define.
Instead of sending to your entire list, you can use
segments to filter exactly who should get a message
based on whatever criteria you choose. "

Lyris(www.lyris.com)  ListManager is a list manager with
lots of features but it really sucks:
-stupid unconvenient web-interface(pages reload many
times to perform a simple operation)
-it's not absolutely free(for example, to support
segments I have to pay)
-no internationalization!!!

That's why I've chosen Mailman :)
If you include some segment support in your next
release, mailman will be 100%convenience system for
me.