[Ironpython-users] Support of Python 3.x

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 07:13:35 CEST 2015

There are plans, and even some small amount of work
(https://github.com/IronLanguages/ironpython3). However time is the
usual issue.

If you want to help (great!) then a decent introduction to
IronPython's internals is http://aosabook.org/en/ironlang.html. The
main work that needs to be done is to bring the parser up to 3.x;
consider looking at the parser in Python Tools for Visual Studio,
since it's derived from the IronPython parser but supports syntax up
to 3.5. Then, of course, the parser needs to generate code to actually
support that stuff.

I have code for function attributes and kw-only args in a branch
somewhere but they're so old it might be easier to just reimplement
them from scratch using the code as a guide.

There's no better way to learn a language than working on a big program. :)

- Jeff