[Ironpython-users] numpy in IronPython

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Fri May 30 22:12:29 CEST 2014

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Doug Blank <doug.blank at gmail.com> wrote:

> numpy is a numeric package for CPython that used a lot in science.
> Wondering about what it would take to develop a numpy for IronPython...
>
> I know a few years ago that there was a paid project to port numpy to
> IronPython [1], but that appears to have been only for Windows, and they
> seem to have some unfinished bits. Not sure what the license of that is.
>
> What to do for numpy IronPython on other platforms?

I think you're out of luck, unfortunately.

> PyPy has been working on their numpy for years [2] and have made some
> great progress [3].  Would that help a numpy on IronPython?

I'm not sure how the PyPy team is doing the port anymore. At one point I
thought they were going to rewrite it in RPython but I don't know if that's
the case. I also thought Cython might be involved. Ialso heard that the
NumPy team would make their core a plain C library that could be wrapped
with ctypes/CFFI. I have no idea if any of those panned out.

NumPy (and SciPy/Pandas/etc) is one of those projects I would love to see
working but just don't have the time or need to do it myself. Someone else
will have to step up to lead that project if it's ever going to get done.

- Jeff