[Ironpython-users] Fwd: pyzmq can be used with ironpython

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 13:17:20 CET 2014

FYI, I started integrating our IronPython (and other languages) system,
named Calico, with IPython in the last few weeks. I ended up writing an
IPython "kernel" (the language backend) in C#:

https://bitbucket.org/ipre/calico/src/master/Source/Calico/ZMQServer.cs

It isn't complete yet (need to add tab-completion and object inspection,
fix a few bugs, such as properly shutting down, and some cleaning up) but
you can run IronPython in the IPython's notebook webbrowser frontend, as
shown here:

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/urls/bitbucket.org/ipre/calico/raw/master/notebooks/Calico%20Overview.ipynb

It uses clrzmq on Mono, but we need to get the low-level libs set for Mac
OSX and Windows.

I've also started attempting to make IPython be an importable library from
our IronPython kernel. Our goals aren't as ambitious as Pawel's... we are
just initially aiming to be able to use parts of IPython from our kernel,
rather than run all of IPython in IronPython. (IPython is made up of three
main components: the ipython startup program, the frontends (console,
qtconsole, and notebook), and the kernel.)  Discussion here:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/5032

If there are ways to reuse this into a general solution, or if others find
this useful, please let me know.

-Doug