[Ironpython-users] Distributing apps

mchalkley at mail.com mchalkley at mail.com
Fri Mar 2 16:37:45 CET 2012

Apologies in advance for the newbie question, especially if this has
been covered 73 times already (I did spend a hour searching online and
in the IPy documentation before resorting to this mailing list)...

Is there a tutorial, overview, or how-to anywhere that describes how
to distribute IronPython apps (console is fine, to start with) to .NET
machines that don't have IronPython installed on them?

I'm using Visual Studio 2010, and have installed the 2.7.2 Beta and
the VS SDK. I can get it to run on my machine via the "ipy app.py"
command, but that's only because I have the "C:\Program Files
(x86)\IronPython 2.7\" directory on my machine, I suspect. (I've got
the sys.path.append lines, the relevant clr.AddReference and import
lines, etc., I think, but obviously they have to get bundled in the
distributable...)

I see the reference to the new pyc.py in the 2.7.2 beta, but I'm not
sure if that's what I need or how to use it.

Sorry for the long-winded question, but I just wanted to be clear that
I've gotten a ways and worked on this for a while, so if I'm missing
something really obvious, I'm going to be very embarrassed... :)

Thanks,

Mark