[Ironpython-users] pyc port to IKVM.Reflection

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 6 20:40:34 CEST 2012

The use case for __clrtype__ is that sometimes a .NET class expects a real type -
either because there need to be attributes placed on it, or it needs a normal
constructor which doesn't take a PythonType object, or for some other oddity of
.NET...  At the same time __clrtype__ is exposing the fact that there's a .NET type
that's associated with each Python type and it lets you really customize it in
anyway that you can dream about via your metaclass.  I think one of the main
scenarios in mind was frameworks like WCF but that didn't seem to go too
far (Jimmy apparently beat me to the punch and mentions some other ones).

The @clr.accepts/@clr.returns way was how we did this in IronPython 1.0/1.1 - I
think these got used for both the static compilation feature (which was implemented
in NewTypeMaker.cs and was there to support ASP.NET) as well as our round
tripping via the WinForms designer.  But the annotations are much nicer, I would
almost think we could get away w/ supporting them before 3.x.

Another way to approach this (and maybe this is what you're already thinking from an
implementation stand point, maybe not) would be just making an easy way to define
the façade for Python modules/classes.  That is everything gets compiled normally
but we generate some wrapper classes automatically.  The wrapper classes could
use the hosting APIs to import the various modules and expose them as .NET
classes.  You could even imagine that the wrapper classes are generated from
some non-turing complete language, but we could also have a script which would
generate them from a .py file automatically and allow you to tweak them.  Finally
throw in some ILMerge tools and we have a pretty decent Python->.NET DLL/EXE
story.