[Ironpython-users] Implicit conversion of objects to float

Cesar Mello cmello at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 17:25:10 CET 2012

Hi,

Although implementing the arithmetic operator overloads solve my problem, I
am still curious if there is a way to implement the implicit conversion in
Python, much like the sample C# program below does. This is a question
about the language, so please forgive me if I am asking in the wrong
mailing list.

class DataValue

  {

    public double Value { get; set; }

    public DateTime Timestamp { get; set; }

    public static implicit operator double(DataValue dataValue)

    {

      return dataValue.Value;

    }

  }

  class Program

  {

    static void Main(string[] args)

    {

      DataValue val1 = new DataValue { Value = 2.5 };

      DataValue val2 = new DataValue { Value = 3.5 };

      double sum = val1 + val2;

      Console.WriteLine(sum.ToString());

    }

  }

Notice I did not need to implement the operator+ overload, and this object
can be used anywhere a double is. I suppose this can be done with
__coerce__ in Python 2, but that is not recommended in the documentation
(and was removed in Python 3).  Is there any other way to obtain this
behavior in Python?

I agree it may be error-prone. But there are valid scenarios where it is
not. Although implementing the arithmetic overloads allow me to mix
DataValues and floats in the same expressions, I am not able to initialize
a Python's Decimal with a DataValue, for example. In C# that could be done.

Thank you very much for the attention!

Best regards
Mello