[Ironpython-users] Unhandled .Net Exception

John Dickinson jhcd.jhcd at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 18:52:00 CEST 2011

Hello, I was looking at adding a handler for otherwise-uncaught .Net
exceptions, and had found this page:
http://www.ironpython.info/index.php/Handling_Unhandled_Exceptions useful.
However, the code shown falls over where he's trying to get a nicely
formatted python exception here:

    from IronPython.Hosting import PythonEngine
    pyE = PythonEngine()
    print pyE.FormatException(event.Exception)

where I get "ImportError: No module named Hosting". At the bottom he has a
note saying:

"For IronPython 2.0, the code to format the exception from a PythonEngine
is slightly different:

import clr
clr.AddReference('IronPython')
from IronPython.Hosting import PythonEngine
PythonEngine.CurrentEngine.FormatException(someException)

"

which gives me "ImportError: Cannot import name PythonEngine".

I'm using IronPython 2.7.0.40 with .Net 4.0.30319.239. I assume the API has
changed here; can anyone tell me if there is a way to do something like
this FormatException in IronPython 2.7?

Thanks.