[IronPython] IronPython 2.7.1 & 3.x Development

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 12:18:13 CET 2011

#!/usr/bin/ipy3

A shebang on the first line is the usual way of specifying which scripting
engine to use on a posix system. If introspection were to be used to select
between python versions, that would be the most obvious way to do it.

Windows (tm) prefers to use filename extensions, which is why .pyw is used
to specify a GUI program. The command shell does not open the file to see
what's inside AFAIK.

It was suggested in the past  that .ipy might be used to specify IronPython
programs. If that idea were carried to its logical end, one would use .ipy3w
to specify an IronPython 3.x GUI script. That is a bit frightening.

What about the idea of a semi-standard python dispatch program which lives
on the search path, introspects the script, and calls the appropriate
engine? Perhaps it could even manage to capture tracebacks sent to stderr
when a script dies?
--
Vernon Cole
(sent from my 'droid phone)

Hi, Jeff,

Von: Jeff Hardy

> With the 2.7 out the door, it's time to start thinking about 3.x. I've
> created a ipy-2.7-maint ...
Your plans sound good for us.

But we're just releasing a product hosting IronPython 2.6.2, as we're
still bound to .NET 2.0 for some months, but our plans to upgrade to
.NET 4.0 are on the way. So we are interested in smooth migration paths
for our customers.

Will it be possible to integrate / host both python 2.x (2.7.x) and 3.x
in the same application?

And is there some mechanism to auto-recognize whether a Script is python
2.x or 3.x syntax? Maybe some "from __future__ import Python3" or
something?

If there's work needed in that area, maybe I can convince my seniors
that we contribute.

(I used to work a lot with Python and contribute to free projects in
some of my former working places...)

Best regards

Markus Schaber

--
We software Automation.

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Markus Schaber | Developer
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany | Tel. +49-831-54031-0 |
Fax +49-831-54031-50

Email: m.schaber at 3s-software.com | Web: http://www.3s-software.com
CoDeSys internet forum: http://forum.3s-software.com
Download CoDeSys sample projects:
http://www.3s-software.com/index.shtml?sample_projects

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner |
Trade register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915