[Ironpython-users] IronPython 2.7.1 Beta coming this weekend

Markus Schaber m.schaber at 3s-software.com
Mon Jun 20 08:07:33 CEST 2011

Hi, Jeff,

> Von: Jeff Hardy [mailto:jdhardy at gmail.com]

> >> I figure if MS can do it with the .NET service packs, then we can
too.
> > :)
> >
> > .NET service packs run a lower risc of being downgraded silently by
an
> > installer unconditionally writing the old version into the GAC. :-(
>
> Only the IronPython installer should be adding them to get GAC. I'll
check
> to make sure that you can't install 2.7 over 2.7.1 (it should bail
with a
> "cannot downgrade" message, but getting installers right for these
> scenarios is hard :|).

Are there no 3rd-party applications which embed and install IronPython
with their own installer?

Being afraid of such scenarios was the main reason why we build
IronPython on our own (with changed assembly name and signing key) and
install that customized version with our CoDeSys installer.

(The other reason was some suspected collision between the versions
compiled for .NET 2.0 and 4.0. We wanted to avoid problems if users
install their own IronPython versions. Nowadays, I'm convinced that this
problem only arises if you compile an application for .net 4.x which
references an IronPython dll compiled for .NET 2.x.

> > Maybe the version overriding via manifest or .conf files would work?
>
> Yeah, binding redirects are an option, but they're horribly ugly.
>
> This is the same path taken with the IronPython 2.6 series - their
version
> numbers remained the same throughout, and we didn't get any complaints
> that I recall. Worst case, if there are major issues, I'll spin a
2.7.2
> with a new version, but I'm expecting anything.

I think I should splash out on a "not" for that last sentence. :-)

Regards,
Markus