[Ironpython-users] IronPython 2.7.1 Beta coming this weekend

Markus Schaber m.schaber at 3s-software.com
Fri Jun 17 09:08:51 CEST 2011

Hi, Jeff,

> Von: Jeff Hardy [mailto:jdhardy at gmail.com]

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Markus Schaber <m.schaber at 3s-
> software.com> wrote:
> > Fine, I'm looking forward to it. Is this release still compileable
> > using .NET 2.0?
>
> It should be, although I haven't tested that lately.

Fine.

> >> The main reason for this release is to get the newly supported
> >> modules (unicodedata, _ast, csv) and the updated stdlib (from
CPython
> >> 2.7.2)
> > out
> >> there to see if there are no major issues.
> >>
> >> IronPython 2.7,1 will have the same assembly version as 2.7, so it
> > should
> >> be a drop-in replacement.
> >
> > I'm not really sure whether using the same assembly version is a
good
> > idea - in my experience, having different versions of the file using
> > the same assembly version can lead to some confusions.
> >
> > But maybe the drop-in character outweighs the disadvantages.
>
> Yeah, it's a tradeoff, but I'm pretty firmly on the drop-in side for
point
> releases. I don't want to have to push out another NWSGI update for
2.7.1.
> There shouldn't be any breaking changes at the assembly level, so we
can
> leave the version unchanged without issues.

Ok. But at least you should update the FileVersion then, or give some
other visible indicator that allows at least manual diagnostics which
version actually is installed.

> I figure if MS can do it with the .NET service packs, then we can too.
:)

.NET service packs run a lower risc of being downgraded silently by an
installer unconditionally writing the old version into the GAC. :-(

Maybe the version overriding via manifest or .conf files would work?

Best regards

Markus Schaber

___________________________
We software Automation.

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Markus Schaber | Developer
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany | Tel. +49-831-54031-0 |
Fax +49-831-54031-50

Email: m.schaber at 3s-software.com | Web: http://www.3s-software.com
CoDeSys internet forum: http://forum.3s-software.com
Download CoDeSys sample projects:
http://www.3s-software.com/index.shtml?sample_projects

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner |
Trade register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915