[IronPython] The elephant in the room: source control for IronPython

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 08:36:19 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Miguel de Icaza <miguel at novell.com> wrote:
> Moving to Git seems like a no brainer to me: we only have to move IronPython
> there.   If we were to pick another of the open source source code
> management systems we would be moving both Ruby and Python away.

Where I'm torn is that IronPython is between a rock and a hard place -
on the one hand, I want to work closely with the Mono project (which
would strongly imply using github), but I also want to be in sync with
the Python community (which has largely embraced hg).

Python's separated stdlib will be a Mercurial repo, and if IronPython
were in Hg we could easily pull in the stdlib as a subrepo. However, I
presume the DLR will stay on github, and we'll need to pull that in as
well, which of course would be easier from git.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. I'm leaning towards Mercurial
because I prefer it, and it seems like many other people do as well. I
know hg can pull from git, but I don't know about the reverse.

> If the concern is the UI for checking code out for Git, there is a
> transparent bridge that exposes the tree to Subversion which has good
> Windows clients.

Tortoise-Git is actually very nice now. I don't think git's Windows
support is really an issue anymore.

- Jeff