[IronPython] The Future of IronPython

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 07:13:18 CEST 2010

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Jonathan Allen <grauenwolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any important features missing from the DLR?

There are two parts to the DLR: the "inner ring" and the "outer ring".
The inner ring is the expression tree extensions, call sites, and some
other infrastructure stuff - this is what shipped with .NET 4 was
previously in Microsoft.Scripting.Core.dll. The outer ring in the
hosting APIs - ScriptEngines, Scopes, etc. It is in the hands of the
community now and we can do with it as we please.

As far as I know, the inner ring/.NET 4 parts are pretty solid - there
may be a few changes, but they're likely pretty minor, and hopefully
MS is willing to work with us (and projects like IronJS, Coljure-CLR,
& IronScheme) if changes are needed.

The outer ring is also pretty solid as well, as far as I know, but
it's not a concern since it can be changed at will (except that
multiple projects depend on it, so some caution would still be
needed). We might have to start calling that part DLR+ or something to
avoid confusion.

- Jeff