[IronPython] deepcopy

Pablo Dalmazzo pablodalma93 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 16:06:07 CEST 2010

Hi there,

part of this question was posted by one of my co-workers in SO, but I thought it wouldnt hurt making it here too and more specific.

We wanted to use deepcopy in an IronPython 2.6 asp.net webforms project. We abandoned the idea because it brought
as conflict with a dll we use (cooperator.framework.web.dll) . It said an attribute was ambiguos in the namespace (sort of)

We went back to IronPython 2.0, there we dont have that problem. So I took the copy.py and type.py modules from
the IronPython 2.6 installation and moved them to the app_script folder of an IronPython asp.net project to see if they worked.

They would seem to be working (the import didnt trigger any error and the copy.deepcopy didnt trigger any error either),
but when we deepcopy a custom class object, the problem we have it's it seems it copies the attributes (that's
what it shows the object inspector) but not everything in the object.

When we try to do getattr(object, attribute) we get "  object has no
attribute 'getitem'" . But the object it's there and it
 has set its attributes.

Now in the copy module it says

"This version does not copy types like module, class, function,
method,
nor stack trace, stack frame, nor file, socket, window, nor array, nor
any similar types."

Does that mean the deepcopy we are making of the object it's not copying
its methods (methods like getitem ) ? or simply the copy.py and type.py modules dont work well in IronPython 2.0? Or is it something else?

Greetings, Pablo