[IronPython] IronPython and Silverlight -- newbie question

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Jul 20 18:53:58 CEST 2010

On 20/07/2010 16:30, Funke, Matt wrote:

> I've really enjoyed /IronPython In Action/, and have found it
> immensely helpful in my quest to understand integrating Python with
> WPF.  (I'm something of a newbie.)
>
> Unfortunately, I've hit a conceptual wall with Sliverlight.  In
> particular, creating the *app.xap* file for the source code in
> *chapter13\13.1.3\ControlsExample1* seems to be hitting a roadblock.
> Here's the command I gave to Chiron from within the chpter13 directory:
>
> *C:\Users\mfunke\Documents\Programming
> Reference\Python\Libraries\IronPython\IronPython In
> Action\sourcecode\chapter13>bin/Chiron /d:13.1.3/ControlsExample1
> /z:app.xap*
>
> Chiron gave me this feedback:
>
> *Generating XAP C:\Users\mfunke\Documents\Programming
> Reference\Python\Libraries\IronPython\IronPython In
> Action\sourcecode\chapter13\app.xap from
> C:\Users\mfunke\Documents\Programming
> Reference\Python\Libraries\IronPython\IronPython In
> Action\sourcecode\chapter13\13.1.3\ControlsExample1*
>
> I then moved *app.xap* from *C:\Users\mfunke\Documents\Programming
> Reference\Python\Libraries\IronPython\IronPython In
> Action\sourcecode\chapter13* to *C:\Users\mfunke\Documents\Programming
> Reference\Python\Libraries\IronPython\IronPython In
> Action\sourcecode\chapter13\13.1.3\ControlsExample1* and opened
> *index.html*.  That's what generated the error in the attached screenshot.
>
> Can anyone help me?  How */should/* I be generating app.xap, and where
> should it live?
>
> I'm running IronPython 2.6.1 for .NET 4.0, as well as .NET 4.0
> (naturally) and Silverlight 4.  Thanks in advance for any help you can
> give.

Hey Matt,

The IronPython in Action binaries include IronPython 2 (Python 2.5),
which unfortunately isn't compatible with Silverlight 4 due to core-clr
API changes (grrr). If you replace the IronPython binaries in the
examples with the IronPython 2.6.1 "IronPython for Silverlight" binaries
then all the code should "just work".

I need to update the examples and get Manning to use the later version -
my apologies.

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/