[IronPython] How to install 3rd part packages into IronPython ?

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Apr 27 12:44:25 CEST 2010

Hello David,

Not sure how close distutils is to working with IronPython.

The correct way to install packages for an installed version of
IronPython *should* be to use the "user site-packages" rather than the
global site-packages (which won't be writable for IronPython without
admin rights):

     http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/

     ipy setup.py install --user

setuptools is a complex, horrible old beast and I wouldn't like to guess
at its IronPython compatibility. Shame MySQLdb depends on it for an
install - but MySQLdb almost certainly depends on C extensions anyway.
In the long run distutils2 will replace setuptools entirely (for CPython
the distribute package has *already* replaced it whilst remaining
compatible). The distutils2 guys are *very* open to input - so 'someone'
should run the tests with IronPython and report any problems.

distutils used to break *after* installing a pure-Python package for
IronPython when it attempted to do byte-code compilation. This specific
problem is fixed in trunk but I don't know if it is fixed in the version
of distutils shipped with IronPython 2.6. This was the last step - so
the error was alarming but wouldn't stop the install.

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog