[IronPython] Type analysis of expression

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 22:33:19 CEST 2009

Christian:
Maybe I'm missing the point -- are you trying to load data into an existing
data table, or to DEFINE a new data table?
  I was assuming the former, a fairly easy case.
If you are trying to create Data Definition Language to create a new table,
then you have a real challenge.  DDL is not well standardized, and you will
either need to have a great deal of knowledge about the capabilities of your
underlying database, or use only the simplest of data types. (Int, float,
and var-string would be about it.)  Introspection of a Python expression
would be the least of your problems. If columns must be nailed down to some
specific system data type, then, I suspect, the user will have to make the
decision for you, somewhat like a spreadsheet user does.
--
Vernon