[IronPython] Default install location and site-packages

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Oct 6 18:57:54 CEST 2009

Dino Viehland wrote:
> Michael wrote:
>
>> I don't have an obvious solution (per user site-packages perhaps?) but
>> present the problem. Python circumvents this problem by *not* installing
>> into "Program Files".
>>

> I would actually say that CPython seems to circumvent this by allowing
> users to write to its installation directory.  Interestingly it does not
> allow modifying the existing files (e.g. I can't modify site.py w/ out
> elevating to admin, just as I can't create files at C:\ w/o elevating
> to admin).

Ignoring for the moment that distutils doesn't work yet, it seems to me
to be a "bug" (or at the very least a problem) that a normal user can't
install packages into their standard installation.

If Python libraries write or modify files in their package directory
then elevating on install wouldn't be enough - elevation would be
required to use them. I don't have any metrics on how common that is,
but my guess would be "not uncommon".

Does IronPython implement PEP 370?

    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0370/

Michael