[IronPython] VS Support/Intelllisense for IronPython

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Jun 11 22:30:55 CEST 2009

Justin Regele wrote:
> actually, didn't quite do what i thought, now that I tested after I
> posted (doh!)
>
> if you remove the '.__doc__' from the print, then yes you can actually
> see the attributes. the problem with the doc strings here is that they
> are all the same.
>
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Justin Regele <jregele23 at gmail.com
> <mailto:jregele23 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Could the intellisense be written in IronPython itself? Given
>     pythons reflective nature, this could be very easy, and then the
>     community could re-write how it behaves to suit wha they want.
>

>     open up the console and do this
>
>     #make a list, or whatever
>     x=[]
>     for attr in dir(x):
>         print attr.__doc__

dir returns a list of strings. Here you are just printing the docstring
of the string in the loop - string docstrings are unsurprising all the
same...

See this code for how to fetch docstrings from object attributes. It's
more fiddly than you would expect:

    http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/weblog/arch_d7_2009_05_16.shtml#e1090

There's actually another corner case that code doesn't handle - where a
descriptor shadows a name that also exists in the instance dictionary.
This code will return the docstring from the object in the instance
dictionary when it should return the descriptor docstring.

Of course none of this is really much help for intellisense where you
need to do it from static analysis and not from live objects.

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog