[IronPython] Career in IronPython

Carl Trachte ctrachte at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 07:24:12 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Pratik Joshi<pratikpj at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm a newbie in IronPython. I've got an interest to learn and work in
> IronPython.
>
> Can anyone suggest me about the scope in IronPython and developing career in
> it?
>
> I'm a software engineer and have 3 years of professional experience in .NET.
> So how would it be for me to put my shoes in IronPython?
>
> Thanks
> Pratik.

Python isn't that hard to learn, at least not the basics.  The
tutorial on the python.org website is a good place to start.  The
IronPython downloads are free.  It's reall a matter of installing the
interpreter and starting to test things.

I you're a dot Net developer, you can prototype things more quickly
and easily and interactively with IronPython.  Most of the common dot
Net libraries work with the IronPython implementation.

Now, for your real question - jobs/career.  I surf the job boards
pretty frequently just to see what's going on and how people are using
Python.  I've seen at least one job posted a number of months back in
New York City in the financial sector.  It referred to a third party
app with a Python API.  I assumed (perhaps falsely) that the app was
the Resolver spreadsheet, because the company that makes it does
target the stock market sector.  I believe you can still download the
base Resolver product for free for non-commercial use (basically to
learn it).

The short on learning IronPython or IronRuby or any other dynamic
language is that you're really learning the language, not just the dot
Net implementation of it.  IronPython gets more and more consistent
with the main Python implementation (CPython) with each release.  Even
now, Python programmers are still hard to come by.  My one boss
referred to them as being "so darn hard to find."  So, IronPython or
jython or PyPy or just plain Python - it's not a bad skill to have.

My two cents.  Hope this helps.

Carl T.