[IronPython] Announcing IronPython 2.0 VS10 CTP

Dody Gunawinata empirebuilder at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 05:32:42 CET 2008

I'd call it missed opportunity if what C# 4.0 dynamic does is only to
provide the same facilities that VB6 or VB.Net have provided long time ago.
For example, the COM interop thing is nice, but then for the past 8 years
you know that if you want to script some Office or COM objects you don't use
C# or IronPython or (insert dynamic language).
But it looks like there are more here. DynamicObject type and IDynamicObject
looks intriguing and I wonder it finally allows more natural XML or
ActiveRecord object access via property call
like myDocument.Customer.Name.FirstName without resorting to some static
code generation. I also wonder if this also allows C# to simulate open
classes just by putting a hashtable of object and stuff delegate, data,
property into them .

Dody G.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 1:52 AM, Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:36:05 +0200, "Dody Gunawinata"
> <empirebuilder at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yup. It looks like more information needed on all of these dynamic
> features.
> > In the first glance it looks like C# 4.0 is turning into VB 6  :)
> >

> Are you saying that would be a bad thing?  Let us recall that VB6 was
> arguably the most successful release in Visual Basic history.  There are
> still people who won't allow themselves to be dragged away from VB6,
> more than a decade after its release.
>
> --
> Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
> Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.