[IronPython] Error building ASP.NET 3.5 websites

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Sat Oct 25 01:24:51 CEST 2008

Here's what we recommend as a workaround.
The CodePlex work item that tracks this request (
http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=19126) now
contains a modified version of Microsoft.Scripting.ExtensionAttribute.dll.
 For this one particular case, where simultaneous referencing of the
original version of our assembly and System.Core.dll causes problems, you
can replace the "shipping version" of our DLL with the modified version.
 This will eliminate the "is ambiguous" error message.

The magic that makes this work is called "type forwarding".  The updated DLL
simply contains a type forwarder to System.Core for the type
System.Runtime.CompilerServices.ExtensionAttribute.  As a result, there is
no second copy of that class, and the CLR loader redirects all references
from the rest of IronPython to System.Core.

This file, though strongly-named and signed, is even more "not supported"
than the rest of IronPython :).  By this I mean primarily that we haven't
run any test passes using the new assembly, and don't plan to.  However, as
it doesn't actually contain any code, the risks from this modified version
should be very small.

We hope to address this problem differently for the next release, but our
promise to stay compatible with .NET 2.0 for this release has somewhat
constrained the type of solution we are able to offer.  Thanks for your
patience!