[IronPython] Wishlist for next version: from __future__ import print_function

Vernon Cole vernondcole at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 03:32:33 CET 2008

Some time back contributors to this forum were invited to suggest which
Python3k and Python 2.6 functions were most important to implement in the
next IronPython.

I downloaded Python 2.6 and Python3.0RC2 today and started hacking at making
adodbapi work in Python 3.  (Now that it works in Iron, py3k seems like the
next logical thing.)  Conversion to Python2.6 is the first baby step.  Roger
Upole has already done some of the work, so I picked up his branch off CVS.

I quickly discovered that the first thing I need for each module is to add:

from __future__ import print_function
from __future__ import unicode_literals

This makes IronPython immediatly error out, of course.

The unicode_literals would be a simple "pass" statement for IronPython,
which already defaults that way.
The convertion of "print" from a statement to a function affects every
Python program down to "Hello, World". IMHO it would be the most important
thing to implement.
--
Vernon Cole