[IronPython] Python Pages -- web application stack (like django, rails, ...)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Jun 12 11:40:42 CEST 2008

The Silverlight integration is a *great* idea - but there really are a
lot of Python web frameworks and template languages out there. I'm
afraid realistically you're unlikely to get more than a handful of users
- but if you enjoy coding it then there is no reason to stop.

You might have more people *using* your code if you build good
Silverlight support for one of the other web frameworks though.

Web frameworks:

Django
Turbogears
Pylons
PSP (Python Server Pages - with Python as a templating language I believe)
Karrigell
web.py
CherrPy (really an application server)
Zope and Plone
Webware
Twisted and Nevow
Quixote or Asyncore
Spyce (also uses Python as a templating language)
Porcupine
Skunkweb

There are also plenty of templating languages:

Stan (used by Nevow)
Genshi
Cheetah
Mako
ZPT (Zope)
SimpleTal (another Zope one)
Kid
Django template language
PTL (Python templating language used by Quixote)
Clearsilver (written in C with bindings for many languages)
PyMeld

Actually I disagree that yours uses Python - it uses something that
looks a bit like Python...

I've never found indentation to be a problem in templating with Python.
I (of course) have my own templating system that uses unadorned Python
in templates - and I use it for rest2web (generate static html pages for
a website from text source and templates) and Firedrop2 (Python blog
client). You can see the templating system documented here:

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/rest2web/templating.html

All the best,

Michael Foord
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/