[IronPython] PyPy meets Jython (could meet IronPython too?)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Jul 10 15:39:52 CEST 2008

Antonio Cuni wrote:
> Michael Foord wrote:
>
>> It would be great to see this as a separate project (pyspec?) so that
>> CPython, IronPython, PyPy and Jython developers can work on it.
>
> yes, that was my idea when I proposed it.
>
>> Of course for maximum platform compatibility it should be based on
>> unittest...
>>
>> :-)
>
> I guess there is no chance to get pypy involved in such a project
> without using py.test :-).

I doubt there is much chance of getting CPython developers interested if
it is not based on a standard library module.

There is also no py.test implementation for Jython or IronPython.

I realise there is an effort underway to port py.test to Jython, but if
py.test uses sys.settrace or stack frame magic then it will be a *long*
time before it can run on IronPython.

A 'cross-platform' testing approach that relies on platform dependent
implementation details, and isn't used by the core CPython developers
seems to be *much* less interesting or useful in my opinion.

Michael Foord