[IronPython] upgrading to ip 2b3 in Resolver One

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Jul 9 23:22:58 CEST 2008

Another way to do this is to create a ScriptSource which is of kind Statements:

                ScriptRuntime sr = ScriptRuntime.Create();
                ScriptEngine engine = sr.GetEngine("py");
                ScriptSource source = engine.CreateScriptSourceFromFile("test.py", Encoding.Default, SourceCodeKind.Statements);
                ScriptScope scope = engine.CreateScope();
                scope.SetVariable("__name__", "__main__");
            source.Execute(scope);

The issue here is that when you create source which is of type File we automatically set __name__ and __file__ - just like Python would if you executed a module.  Given that the scope and code are decoupled from each other there's no way for us to set it in the scope until the code runs - and of course the code runs after your SetVariable call.  Unless there's some reason using Statements is too onerous I'm inclined to say this is the correct behavior.

Alternately we could check and see if __name__ / __file__ are already set and then not set them.  But I'm worried that would lead to some surprising behavior when re-using scopes.  I'm am open to suggestions though :).