[IronPython] Roadmap for IronPython 2.0

Pigneri, Rocco rpigneri at LavaStorm.com
Tue Jan 15 20:31:17 CET 2008

Dino,

Thank you for your response.  Funny that I would check my e-mail seconds
before this message hit my mail box :-).

	We don't really have a document like this but the general goal
is to ship IronPython 2.0 by the end of the year.  The goals for
IronPython generally include CPython 2.5 compatibility and fully running
on top of the DLR.  And of course we've already seen numerous
improvements from IronPython 1.1 -> 2.0 and I expect to see a bunch more
random improvements as we continue (e.g. bug fixes, performance,
etc...).

Excuse my ignorance--again, I am new to Python--but why is it important
to have CPython 2.5 compatibility as opposed to, say, Python 2.5
compatibility?  Or are the two identical from a "user" perspective?

	For the DLR its self the plan is to ship a v1.0 around the same
time as IronPython 2.0.  The goal for DLR v1.0 is to get great hosting
support so that apps can consume multiple languages and languages can
plug into the DLR and run inside of applications in a reasonable manner.

When you say this, do you mean that this will allow for situations such
as letting C# instantiate a type that defined in IronPython and then
manipulate this object?  This would be useful in a situation where you
have a unit testing framework written in a static language (like NUnit)
or an analysis tool that expects to consume a static language.  Or is
the goal more to ensure that different dynamic languages can talk to
each other (such as Python and Ruby) across assembly boundaries?

Thank you,

Rocco

________________________________

We don't really have a document like this but the general goal is to
ship IronPython 2.0 by the end of the year.  The goals for IronPython
generally include CPython 2.5 compatibility and fully running on top of
the DLR.  And of course we've already seen numerous improvements from
IronPython 1.1 -> 2.0 and I expect to see a bunch more random
improvements as we continue (e.g. bug fixes, performance, etc...).

For the DLR its self the plan is to ship a v1.0 around the same time as
IronPython 2.0.  The goal for DLR v1.0 is to get great hosting support
so that apps can consume multiple languages and languages can plug into
the DLR and run inside of applications in a reasonable manner.

The really interesting question at this point for DLR v1.0 is how
finalized the language implementer API will be.   We still have some
work to know if that'll be finalized in time or if we'll be expecting
some breaking changes in that area post DLR 1.0.