[IronPython] Ironclad v0.5 released

William Reade william at resolversystems.com
Thu Aug 21 11:09:04 CEST 2008

(Cross-posted from the c-extensions-for-ironpython google group -- I
thought a few people here might be interested too :))

Hi all

Our original goal for 0.5 was to import numpy, from IronPython, and do
something with it. With one monstrous caveat, we have reached that goal;
the problem is that you need to comment out line 532 of
numpy.core.numerictypes.py before it'll import. That line reads
"_unicodesize = array('u','U1').itemsize", and fails trying to construct
a unicode array; however, since _unicodesize appears to be unreferenced,
we feel reasonably comfortable ignoring it for now.

Once numpy is imported, you can create integer arrays and do a few
things with them; of course, the number of things you can do is still
dwarfed by the number of things you can't do. You can add, subtract and
multiply integer arrays, and raise them to integer powers... and that's
about it.

We will continue to work on numpy; immediate goals include getting
floating-point arrays to print out as numbers instead of NaNs, hooking
up the many missing PyTypeObject fields, and implementing more API
functions as we encounter them. I don't have a very clear goal in mind
for v0.6 as yet; making floating-point arrays work properly is obviously
critical, but further steps are not yet clear. If anyone is
particularly keen to start using numpy with IronPython, please get in
touch; I'm keen to know what you want to do with it, so I can focus on
features I know are valuable :).

Best
William