[IronPython] [python] Using IP with Idle

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Oct 17 21:42:44 CEST 2007

Allison Day wrote:
> I have been using python in a unix environment for years and am a
> complete noob to iron python, windows, and .net as of yesterday
> (GAAAACK! says the Linux Guy :-) so please be patient.
>
> I was looking to use Idle with Ironpython but am not sure how to do
> this or if it can be done.  I saw a reference or two to Idle in the
> archives, but nothing concrete.  I've set the windows path to:
>
> C:\Program Files\activeTcl\bin;C:\Program Files\MTS
> 793\ntbin;C:\Program Files\Common Files\MTS
> Shared;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;c:\IronPython-1.1;
>
> I was reading a few IP articles and they mentioned setting the path,
> so I tried that and then importing System, but System isn't found.  I
> don't yet understand the relationship between CPython and IP, so maybe
> idle can't be used.  I want idle for the editing capabilities and so
> on that I'm used to using in the unix environment.
>
> So can Idle be used and if not, what else has the formatting that idle
> does?  One guy here using a regular text editor and runs a batch file,
> but I'm hoping for a little more interactive environment.  For
> licensing reasons, visual studio is a not an option for me at the
> moment but might be in the future.

Well, you can edit IronPython code with IDLE - but I don't think you'll
be able to run it.

Keeping a command line window opening whilst editing with IDLE is pretty
easy. Alternatively use a slightly more 'featured' editor that allows
you to run files with an external command (most text editors will do
this - plus it can be done with Python IDEs like SPE, Wing and probably
Komodo).

Michael
http://www.manning.com/foord