[IronPython] IronPython now runs faster on Mono

Paolo Molaro lupus at ximian.com
Mon Jun 4 17:47:45 CEST 2007

On 06/03/07 Sanghyeon Seo wrote:
> Thanks to optimization works on delegate invocation, IronPython now
> runs faster on Mono. Conservatively, you can expect 5% speedup for
> 1.1, and 10% speedup for 2.0a1.

Current svn mono should be a few percent faster as well (optimized
string.CompareOrdinal).

I got a few more insights into the performace issues with version 2.0 as
well: if you try to run pystone with more passes (200, 300, 500 K)
you'll notice the reported performance is significantly higher.

This is because we JIT many more methods in 2.0 and the JIT time is
accounted in the results. Adding a warmup call to pystone.py will
get the 1.1 and 2.0 results much closer than they appear to be
with a default run (58k vs 46k in the default and 59k vs 55k with
the warmup on my pentium M 1.6).

The good news is that most of the additional methods compiled are just
because we haven't implemented in mono code sharing for generic methods
with reference generic arguments.

The bad news is that we haven't scheduled the time yet to implement
code sharing. I guess these data points will help us to prioritize it.

lupus