[IronPython] IronPython v2.0 Alpha 3 Released!

M. David Peterson xmlhacker at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 10:46:01 CEST 2007

SWEET! :D  Thanks, Dino!  (just getting back from OSCON so only now getting
caught up with the latest news.  A few photo's for those with interest >
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=10353&l=944b5&id=502036603 < (URI is
publicly accessible))

On 7/26/07, Dino Viehland <dinov at exchange.microsoft.com> wrote:

>  Hello IronPython Community,
>
> We have just released IronPython 2.0 Alpha 3. This release is a snapshot
> of the on-going progress with IronPython 2.0 and the DLR. The most
> significant changes in this release include more work to use dynamic sites
> from IronPython and improved evaluation mode support.  This release is also
> timed to closely coincide with the IronRuby release and provides a
> near-identical DLR release.
>

> The improved support for dynamic sites from IronPython has resulted in a
> performance improvement for a number of scenarios including method lookup,
> indexing operations, and member access.  We expect future releases to
> continue with this trend to get improved performance in future versions.
> There are no significant changes to the underlying dynamic site
> infrastructure in this release but we expect some changes there which will
> also improve performance in future releases.
>

> This release also contains near complete support for evaluation support.
> There are now only a handful of corner cases where evaluation support is
> incomplete.  Evaluation support enables the DLR to interpret code instead of
> compiling it and executing it resulting in faster run times for code that is
> executed once or rarely executed at all.
>

> There are also a number of small tweaks to the underlying DLR
> infrastructure as it continues to evolve.  None of the changes in this
> release are radical and most external language implementations should be
> able to easily move from Alpha 2 to Alpha 3.
>

> Note: Again due to dependencies upon APIs that are not present in
> Silverlight 1.1 Alpha (released at MIX) you won't be able to re-build this
> release for use with Silverlight. As both products stabilize more we expect
> better compatibility between releases.
>

> You can download IronPython v2.0 Alpha 3 at http://www.codeplex.com
> /IronPython/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=3749

/M:D

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354 |
http://dev.aol.com/blog/3155