[IronPython] IronPython Studio question.

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Dec 31 19:06:29 CET 2007

Anthony Boudouvas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i just downloaded and installed IronPython Studio, a very impressive
> work indeed. Is this possible to import modules like normal CPython 2.5
> usage (modules that have nothing to do with .net stuff, like win32api or
> PyQt, for instance) and succesfully build the project ??
>
> I tried the following code but it says cannot import modue "win32pdh".
>
> Thanks for any help.

Alas an extension module compiled for CPython cannot be directly
imported into IronPython, as the object representations are so
different. This does not apply to modules in pure Python, of course,
which are mostly importable (the restrictions being mainly due to
platform differences).

The team at Resolver Systems has built an interesting experimental
mechanism for embedding CPython in the IronPython environment and having
the two communicate. This has been demonstrated to allow some uses of
CPython extension modules in IronPython, but there are no guarantees.

However, the functionality you seek may well be available through .NET
features which are easily accessed from IronPython, in which case that
would be the way to go.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119